The Islamic State today claimed responsibility for the multiple bombings in Sri Lanka’s hotels and churches that killed 321 people and injured more than 500 people on Easter Sunday. According to media reports, the IS group did not give any evidence for its claim.
US intelligence sources claimed that the attacks carried some of the hallmarks of the Islamic State militant group.Earlier in the day, the Defence Minister revealed that “The intelligence agencies have reported that there were international organisations behind these acts of local terrorists. Hence, it has been decided to seek international assistance for investigations.”
Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena is expected to meet foreign envoys and high commissioners. He will brief them on the bombings and will seek international assistance. Sri Lanka marked national mourning on Tuesday. Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said that the entire nation mourned the “senseless loss of innocent lives” lost in the multiple blasts.
A series of eight devastating blasts that ripped through churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka on April 21. During these blasts, more than 321 people were killed and more than 600 others were injured.Eight Indian nationals were among 310 victims of the bomb blast in Churches and hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday. While condemning the barbaric terror act on the telephone, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi offered help to Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena and Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe. He further said that these acts were cold-blooded and pre-planned. They were another grim reminder of the most serious challenge posed to the entire humanity by terrorism.